Juvederm® Ultra Plus Injectable gel is a colorless hyaluronic gel that is injected into facial tissue to smooth wrinkles and folds, especially around the mouth and nose. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring suger found in the human body. The role of hyaluraonic acid in the skin is to deliver nutrients and hydrate the skin by holding in water and acting as a cushioning agent. This adds volume to facial tissue and restores a smoother appearance to the face. Most patients need one treatment to achieve optimal wrinkle smoothing, and the results last about six months. Possible side effects are mild to moderate in nature and their duration is short lasting (7 days or less). The most common side effects include, but are not limited to, temporary injection site reactions such as redness, pain, swelling, tenderness, lumps, bumps, bruising, itching and discoloration. As with all skin infections, there is a risk of infection.
Jevederm® should not be used in paitents with severe allergies marked by a history of anaphylaxis or history or presence of multiple severe allergies or in patients with a history of allergies to Gram positive bacterial proteins.
Important considerations include:
- Avoiding substances that can prolong bleeding, such as aspirin or ibuprofen due to increased bruising and bleeding at the injection site.
- Avoiding Juvederm® injectable gel in areas that have undergone laser treatment, chemical peeling or any other procedure based on active dermal response since there is a possible risk of inflammatory reaction at the treatment site.
- Juvederm injectable gell should be used with caution in patients on innunosuppressive therapy as there may be an increased risk of infection.
- The safety of Jevederm® Injectable gel for use during pregnancy, in breastfeeding females or in patients under 18 years of age has not been established.
- The safety of Jevederm® injectable gel in patients with a history of excessive scarring or keloid formation and pigmentation disorders has not been studied.
- Injections may cause discomfort during and after the injection. Juvederm® Ultra Plus injectable gel is injected directly into the skin using a fine needle to reduce injection discomfort. Anesthestic can be used to numb the treatment area to minimize discomfort.
- Within the first 24 hours of treatment, you should avoid strenuous exercise, extensive sun or heat exposure and alcoholic beverages. Exposure to any of the above may cause temporary redness, swelling, and itching at the injection sites. If there is swelling, an icepack may be placed over the swollen area.